Security Officer:Northwest Region
Location: Bamenda, Cameroon
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
|Title||Security Officer : Northwest Region|
|Functional Area||NWSW Emergency Response|
|Reports to||Emergency Response Manager|
|Location||Bamenda, NWR||Travel required||Yes|
|Effective Date||April 2022|
Working in 50 developing countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan aims to reach as many children as possible, particularly those who are excluded or marginalized with high quality programs that deliver long lasting benefits by increasing its income, working in partnership with others and operating effectively. Plan is committed to responding to children affected by emergencies in the countries of our operation.
Given the current humanitarian crisis in the Northwest and Southwest Region of Cameroon Plan is engaged in providing life-saving humanitarian assistance, protection, education and psychosocial support. Its operations are implemented in key sectors of Protection (Child Protection and SGBV), Education, Food Assistance and Nutrition, Livelihood, WASH and NFIs in coordination with all other humanitarian institutions.
With new funding from various donors, Plan International will continue in 2021-2022 his response in the region affected, through projects implementation in the sectors above noted. Under the supervision of the Emergency Response Manager, this position is responsible for the technical leading and actions implementation for safety & security of staff, assets and programs of Plan International in the Northwest region of Cameroon. He/She will ensure quality and norms in the security issues treatment.
Dimensions of the Role
This position is responsible for safety and security of staff, assets and programs within the Emergency context (Northwest region of Cameroon). The Security Officer will provide effective capacities and technical guidance in management including the implementation, monitoring and evaluation of security treats during the implementation of related activities at the field levels.
The Security Officer will be based in Bamenda with frequent movements in all area where Plan is operating in the North West region of Cameroon.
Key End Results and Typical Responsibilities:
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the authority of the Emergency Response Manager, with a doted reporting to the Country Security Advisor; the Security Officer will be responsible for the development and implementation of security policies, guidelines and procedures in order to ensure the security of all Plan staff, property and operations. This will involve, but is not limited to: promoting a culture of security; security incident reporting; security guard oversight and management; monitoring and analyzing the security situation in relation to the Nigerian Refugee and IDPs response in the Southwest region of Cameroon, promulgating and maintaining Security related Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs). The scope of responsibility is for both Northwest and Southwest Emergency area and all authorized visitors and include:
- Ensuring the safety and security of PLAN INTERNATIONAL staff and assets in the North West region.
- Ensuring the implementation of PLAN INTERNATIONAL’s projects in the North West region through Access Negotiations.
- Implementing PLAN International’s security strategies, SOPs and other special security SOPs put in place in the North West Region of Cameroon.
- Working Closely with UNDSS, UNOCHA, Government authorities and other International / national organizations to ensure that security and safety information is shared and appropriate measures taken.
- Monitoring the security situation in the North West region and providing contingency plans to ensure business continuity.
- Carrying out security risk assessment (SRA) in operations areas and new location and giving mitigations measures to risk and threats identified.
- Designing and implementing security training to staffs deployed in the Northwest region.
- Carrying out frequent drills and testing of emergency communication and fire equipment in PLAN INTERNATIONAL field offices.
- Assisting in designing and implementing security polices of PLAN International in the North West or South West regions of Cameroon.
- Support Plan International in managing all aspects of Safety and Security while providing advice and coordination to all Plan international staff, contract employees and visitors and third parties.
- Work closely with Plan International personnel in Northwest region to ensure Safety and Security compliance, make recommendations and manage the integration of safety, security and risk management in program implementation.
- Support the implementation of Plan international Risk Management Procedures within the country supporting the staffs in compliance with safety and security will also minimum standards.
- Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes INSO, NGOs, UN and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
- Liaison & co-ordination with Police, Security forces & other stakeholders as required.
- Provide Plan International mission in the Northwest region with timely and credible security information and support context and situation analysis of the local security situation through daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
- Keep an update network of Contact with NSAG, Community leaders, Elders, Village chiefs in order to ensure proper communication and monitoring of those areas.
- Assist Plan International Mission in the Northwest Region in developing and reviewing Safety, Security Risk management plans and documents.
- Conducting site-security surveys, drills and assisting in crisis evacuation planning. Develop security tree and operational plan for emergencies.
- Support on context, situational and risk analysis on assigned locations prior to deployment.
- Ensure that the team is fully equipped for the mission based on the country Risk management policies.
- Conduct pre-deployment trainings/briefings to all team members prior to each field mission. Carry out periodical follow up security trainings for staff at the field level.
- Monitor staff movement and tracking systems while maintaining operational security. Identify areas of Security Management requiring external support.
- Provide assistance to the in the implementation of Cameroon Northwest region risk management plan. This can include the Support in updating of the country specific risk management policies, security/communication tree and other relevant security management tools, such as the evacuation / hibernation plan.
- Provide assistance in the conduct and follow up of investigations and incidents affecting Plan International staffs and offices: help to prepare staff to prepare incident reports and forward to the Country Office.
- Represent Plan International at security meetings including UNDSS and UNOCHA ACCESS GROUP, forums as appropriate and prepare report.
- Undertake regular visits to the field areas / other locations (office, guest houses etc) covered by Plan International and provide support to the team on ground in meeting all required security measures.
- Make an assessment on the security set-up of the field offices Provide a monthly report with a concrete plan for the following month.
- Perform any other tasks assigned by the Country Security Adviser.
Dealing with Problems:
- Complexity of problems handled & the degree of investigation, analysis, & creative thinking required to solve them.
- The job requires intense interventions on the field, in areas often at risk. This requires prudence, vigilance and respect for compliance with security instructions on the part of the staff.
- Decisions may affect the security and/or the lives of staff, the materials and the profile of Plan across the humanitarian sector and across media. Decision may also affect the lives of thousands of disaster affected children, millions of dollars;
- Excellent and creative leadership skills will be utilized to correct ensure the implementation of security activities management, in accordance with the standards and with possible resistance from colleagues as is often the case in emergency response work;
- He/She should work under pressure and accept travels and stays in areas often austere.
Communications and Working Relationships:
Key Internal Contacts
- Security Advisor, Emergency Response Manager, Supply Chain Coordinator, all the projects Coordinator, other members of the Emergency Response Team, Plan staff.
Key External Contacts
- Other security point persons of agencies of the system of UN and of the NGO responding to the emergency in the North West and South West Regions
Knowledge, Skills and Behaviours Required to Achieve Role’s Objectives:
- Bachelor Degree in Security or any related field
- Demonstrable knowledge and practical work experience, preferably with non-profit or NGO within international humanitarian assistance programs, with proven capabilities in planning, organizing and executing security operations in the field;
- At least 3-5 years’ experience of security, and safety management or similar capacity;
- Good understanding of Cameroon security related issues and their relations to Plan’s context;
- Experience in conducting participatory risk assessments and preparing situational analyses, including the analysis of factors from both the internal and external environments, identifying crucial risks that have to be addressed, setting objectives and developing plans of action
- Good communication skills (written and verbal) both in French, the local language (Pidgin-English) and English language in order to present and garner information quickly and clearly to a variety of audiences
- Team player
- Background in complex emergencies situation analysis, needs assessments and response planning and management;
- Good knowledge and understanding of humanitarian principles and standard (SPHEERE…) and Red Cross Codes of Conduct;
- Proven capacity to facilitate trainings, coach staff and provide advisory to the staff and visitor;
- Ability to network with grassroots structures;
- Commitment and adherence to humanitarian values and standards,
- Aware of own strengths, weaknesses and pro-active in using feedback and self-development
- Works with trustworthiness and integrity and has a clear commitment to PLAN’s core values and humanitarian principles
- Awareness and sensitivity of self and others: Demonstrates awareness and sensitivity to gender and diversity. Have experience and the ability to live and work in diverse cultural contexts in a culturally appropriate manner. Has a capacity to make accurate self-assessment particularly in high stress and high security contexts.
- Preparedness to live and work in uncertain security environments.
Physical Environment and Demands:
- Work intensively in the field: The Security in emergency officer will spend at least 60% of his time on the field in the context of the assessment and monitoring of security situation.
- Periods of intense work at all times of day.
- Working in multiple locations and on the move.
- Ensures that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
Plan International’s Values in Practice
We are open and accountable
- Promotes a culture of openness and transparency, including with sponsors and donors.
- Holds self and others accountable to achieve the highest standards of integrity.
- Consistent and fair in the treatment of people.
- Open about mistakes and keen to learn from them.
- Accountable for ensuring we are a safe organisation for all children, girls & young people
We strive for lasting impact
- Articulates a clear purpose for staff and sets high expectations.
- Creates a climate of continuous improvement, open to challenge and new ideas.
- Focuses resources to drive change and maximise long-term impact, responsive to changed priorities or crises.
- Evidence-based and evaluates effectiveness.
We work well together
- Seeks constructive outcomes, listens to others, willing to compromise when appropriate.
- Builds constructive relationships across Plan International to support our shared goals.
- Develops trusting and ‘win-win’ relationships with funders, partners and communities.
- Engages and works well with others outside the organization to build a better world for girls and all children.
We are inclusive and empowering
- We empower our staff to give their best and develop their potential
- We respect all people, appreciate differences and challenge equality in our programs and our workplace
- We support children, girls and young people to increase their confidence and to change their own lives.
Physical Environment and Demands:
Typical office and field environment; climbing, standing up, etc.
Level of contact with children
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Closing Date: April 19th, 2022
To apply for this job please visit jobs.plan-international.org.