Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Position: Research Assistant/Study Nurse
Location: Douala, Yaounde
Supervisor: Clinical Research Monitor
Contract duration consultancy : 1 month
Term of Offer: This position is paid on the terms of a local contract.
“Sometimes in life there is that moment when it’s possible to make a change for the better. This is one of those moments.”
The Elizabeth Glaser Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and tuberculosis, working in 15 countries and more than 5,500 cities around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children and to care for those already infected. Through the successful efforts of the foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. The foundation has more than 1,000 employees, 90% of whom are in the field. The overall goal of the foundation is to eliminate pediatric HIV/AIDS by implementing prevention, care and treatment programs and promoting innovative research. The foundation also aims to carry out advocacy activities in a strategic and targeted manner in order to bring about profound change and improve the lives of women, children, and families around the world.
The SAFE Project (SRAS-CoV-2 infection in Community, Acceptability, Feasibility, and Perceptions of SRAS-CoV-2 Ag-RD Testing following Mass Gathering Events: a multisite cross-sectional study in Cameroon), funded by FIND , is a cross-sectional survey which aims to determine the positivity rate of SARS-CoV-2 antigen-detecting rapid diagnostic tests (Ag-RDT) in the community among individuals that currently attend MGE or gatherings with more than 50 people in two urban areas in Cameroon and to access the feasibility and acceptability of SARS-CoV-2 Ag-RDT in community settings. The data generated from our research activities will directly inform the MOH on safe return to MGE and if a possible new COVID-19 ‘wave’ with increased asymptomatic community transmission during or following the MGE. Results would guide the MOH to ascertain the acceptability, feasibility, and effect of community-based testing on SARS-CoV-2 transmission and COVID-19 outcomes.
The research assistant/study nurse will be based in one of the participating districts (Bonassama, Deido, Bangue, Nylon, Efoulan, Biyemassi, Cité Verte and Djoungolo). Under the supervision of the study coordinator and the Principal Investigator, he/she will work with EGPAF research staff and Ministry of health staff to implement the research activities according to the protocol and procedures. He/she will be primarily responsible for the day-to-day implementation and monitoring of the study at the community testing points, including but not limited to registration and interview of participants, collection of data while respecting ethical rules and confidentiality, and adherence to study procedures. He/she will also help ensure the privacy of participants. He/she will report on the implementation of the study to the Research Monitor, the Study Coordinator, the Data Manager, and the Principal Investigator.
– Identify and include eligible participants in the study.
– Accurately collect and document informed consent from each participant.
– Accurately extract the information needed for the study from the various source documents available.
– Research and collect additional information or missing data from all available source documents according to study procedures.
– Mentor participants throughout the process of assessing their understanding of the information sheet.
– Escalate any questions or understandings related to the protocol, the SOPs or the conduct of the study in general to the supervisor;
– Master the study protocol and procedures;
– Ensure the storage and secure archiving of research documents.
– Ensure the completeness and consistency of the data and make the necessary corrections from the source documents;
– Ensure the daily update of the database by synchronizing the data of the collection tools every evening or at best after each operation;
– Ensure secure storage of data collection tools and participant records.
– Maintain good relationships with participants, hospital staff and others involved in the study.
– Ensure the smooth conduct of project activities in the hospital, including diplomatic and proactive problem identification and resolution.
– Perform any other tasks assigned by the supervisor related to the study.
– Registered nurse with a state diploma in general nursing or public health background.
– An additional degree in public health or a relevant field will be appreciated;
– At least two years of recent experience in conducting informed consent procedures;
– Experience in the field of tuberculosis will be highly appreciated;
– Experience in clinical or operational research will be highly valued;
– General knowledge of good clinical practice and ethics in human health research will be highly valued;
– A good command of the use of data collection applications on tablets and smartphones (ODK, Redcap mobile…) and office software such as Microsoft Office is required;
– A professional level of written and oral expression in French or English is required (a bilingual profile is an advantage).
– Be professional and have good communication skills with the public, physicians and other collaborators.
– Ability to work independently and as part of a team and strong ability to proactively identify and solve problems.
– Comfortable working late and on weekends
– Living in the locality of the study facility is a must.
The selection will be made based on the following criteria:
The technical qualification will be assessed during an interview with a selection committee: Note that Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for theoretical and practical skills assessment, the interview.
Indicate at the top of your Cover Letter your monthly Consultancy fees for the tasks.
Provide at least 3 professional references and field experience will be assessed.
How to Apply
· Kindly submit a CV and Cover letter to CameroonProcurement@pedaids.org
· Deadline for submission May 7th, 2022 with subject title ‘Research Assistant/Study Nurse’
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to CameroonProcurement@pedaids.org