- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Yaounde
- Position Title:
- Economic Specialist – All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Open Period:
- 07/07/2022 – 07/21/2022Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1505 10
- XAF FCFA19,975,232
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time –
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- For USEFM – FP is 05. Actual FP salary determined by Washington D.C.
• All Interested Applicants / All Sources
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- • Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is:
- Full Time (40 hours per week)
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Under the supervision of the Political/Economic (P/E) Officer, incumbent serves as the economic specialist in the P/E Section. He/She is responsible for economic analysis and reporting and assistance to USG funded projects. He/She performs factual and analytical reporting in the field of economics, more specifically on macroeconomic issues and fiscal transparency, as well as agriculture, social sector developments (education, health, poverty indicators etc.). The incumbent will also support overall economic analysis, reporting and contact work for all other fields in the P/E section. He/She will assist in planning, implementing, and administering economic-related development assistance projects.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: Minimum of five (5) years of responsible professional-level experience in economic research, analysis and reporting in international affairs, economy or development. Experience must include analysis and interpretation of data and the presentation of findings in written and oral form.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: The incumbent must have a thorough understanding of Cameroonian politics, history, society, economy, and institutions; Central African and international development issues; and economics. He or she should know and understand USG and Mission priorities and policies, as well as U.S. government, politics, and history as relates to the execution of his or her job in the promotion/advocacy of USG foreign policy.
The Economic Specialist must be familiar with the MS Office Suite and use of the internet for research and should have good understanding of Embassy reporting needs and procedures, including Washington’s priorities. The incumbent must be able to serve as the “institutional memory” for information related to his or her past or present projects.
- Education Requirements:
- University degree in Economics, Business, Sociology, International Development, or Environmental/health policy studies.
- LANGUAGE: Fluency (Speaking/Reading/Writing) in English and French are required. This may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Must have excellent verbal skills and be able to tailor conversations to the level of the audience, taking conversation down to the lowest common denominator. Must be able to influence and persuade stakeholders to meet U.S. foreign policy objectives. The incumbent must be able to diplomatically and effectively exchange with his interlocutors, as he will often be the sole representative from the USG in the dialogue. The incumbent must be able to effectively multi-task and manage a constantly changing number of projects. He or she must be able to quickly understand and work within the realms of specific regulations that vary from project to project. The incumbent must exercise considerable initiative and creativity when developing new project ideas or working within the confines of project regulations. The incumbent must have strong writing skills to be able to write reports, cables, and memos in English. This may be tested.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Cameroon may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a U.S. Embassy issued Security clearance.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- To qualify based on education, you MUST submit the requested educational certificate/diploma and/or transcripts as verification of educational requirement by the closing date of this announcement. Failure to provide requested information, or the information is insufficient to verify eligibility, may result in disqualification for this position.
• Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
• University certificate/attestation or equivalent
Eligible Family Member Applicants:
• Copy of Sponsor’s Orders/Assignment Notification or equivalent (if applicable)
• Passport copy (if applicable)
• DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
• SF-50 (if applicable)
- Next Steps:
- ONLY Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Cameroon.
To apply for this job please visit erajobs.state.gov.