- Announcement Number:
- Hiring Agency:
- Embassy Yaounde
- Position Title:
- Plumber Team Lead (All Interested Candidates / All Sources)
- Open Period:
- 01/17/2023 – 01/31/2023Format MM/DD/YYYY
- Vacancy Time Zone:
- LE – 1210 6
- XAF FCFA8,028,817
- Work Schedule:
- Full-time –
- Promotion Potential:
- Duty Location(s):
- 1 Vacancy in
- Telework Eligible:
- For More Info:
- Hiring Path:
- • Open to the public
- Who May Apply/Clarification From the Agency:
- All Interested Applicants / All Sources.
For USEFM – FS is FP-08. Actual FS salary determined by Washington D.C.
- Security Clearance Required:
- Public Trust – Background Investigation
- Appointment Type
- Appointment Type Details:
- Indefinite subject to successful completion of probationary period
- Marketing Statement:
- We encourage you to read and understand the Eight (8) Qualities of Overseas Employees before you apply.
- The work schedule for this position is: Full Time (40 hours per week).
Start date: Candidate must be able to begin working within a reasonable period of time of receipt of agency authorization and/or clearances/certifications or their candidacy may end.
- Supervisory Position:
- Relocation Expenses Reimbursed:
Performs US standards Commercial Journeyman level plumbing work, installation and preventive maintenance at Embassy Chancery and compound, Marine Security Guard Quarters, all United States Government-owned and leased properties at Post, including the Embassy Branch Office and residence in Douala periodically, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and Peace Corps office buildings as needed. Works as scheduled in rotation basis as duty technician on 24 hours basis. Incumbent receives supervision from the Senior Building Engineer and receives strategic work guidance from the Facility Manager. Incumbent will work at the New Embassy Compound, 70 residences spread throughout Yaounde, and provide support to CDC and Peace Corps buildings. The incumbent is the supervisor of the plumbing team consisting of 07 plumbing technicians, providing the day-to-day supervision of this team, setting work priorities, and checking performance and quality of work along with writing their yearly performance evaluations. The incumbent in close cooperation with the Facility Manager assures an accurate 5 year budget submission into GMMS for heavy life cycle replacement/repairs/new installation of all plumbing related equipment at the NEC and 60 leased residences. The incumbent ensures completion of work orders and correct documentation of labor and material used; this person also orders material needed and coordinates with other offices for delivery of material, tools and equipment to allow completion of the work by the plumbing team.
Qualifications and Evaluations
- EXPERIENCE: A minimum of three (3) years experience working as a journey-level plumber in the repair and maintenance of plumbing/mechanical systems in an international organization, commercial or industrial facilities, which will include a minimum of one (1) year supervisory experience. Must have experience working with PVC, CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, and black pipe; circulation and well pumps, and advanced controls and water treatment equipment is required.
JOB KNOWLEDGE: Must be able to read and understand modern plumbing schematics on installation and repairs. Must have full journeyman knowledge of established practices and procedures of the plumbing trade and instruct 7 subordinate plumbers to meet demanding plumbing rigors of Yaounde. Incumbent must have expertise in modern western commercial plumbing means and methods with a clear understanding of current American plumbing codes. Incumbent must know more advanced methods of commercial plumbing practices to meet the rigors of domestic water/wastewater and high-pressure fire suppression system operations and sophisticated water treatment controls. The incumbent is required to have a thorough, technical understanding of major building plumbing/mechanical systems and equipment, with a specialty in plumbing systems. Familiarization with general mechanical systems, including domestic hot and cold-water piping systems, wastewater piping systems and vent stacks, storm water management systems, chilled water systems, water treatment facilities, swimming pool equipment, fire suppression systems, compressed air systems, and irrigation systems is required. Familiarization with the many different types of pipe and fittings (PVC and CPVC, copper, galvanized, concrete, black, etc.) is required. Must know how to diagnose the root cause of a problem and what materials and equipment will be needed to facilitate repairs. Must know how to work safely on equipment, systems and associated components including the use of lock-out / tag-out safety measure. Knowledge of IBC standards, and fire and life safety codes is required.
These may be tested.
- Education Requirements:
- Completion of High School (GCE “A” level, BACC, or equivalent) is required.
Completion of vocational training program from an accredited institute recognized as producing journeyman level plumbers and mechanical system specialist trained in the maintenance of commercial or industrial buildings/facilities is required. Training through a recognized apprenticeship program provided by a trade union is considered acceptable.
- LANGUAGE: Good working knowledge (Speaking/Reading/Writing) in English is required. Limited knowledge (Speaking/Reading/Writing) in French is required. These may be tested.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Fiscal — Must be able to make mission wide plumbing / water works budget.
Subordinate management – Must be able to closely supervise, mentor, create daily/weekly/monthly goals for 5 subordinate plumbers to maximize work order flow efficiency, ensuring they have the correct parts and tools to complete their daily tasks safely. Must be able to write well thought out yearly Employee Performance Reports for each 7 plumbers under supervision.
Ability to use all tools of trade such as pipe threading machines, soft welding, etc. Use of a variety of plumbing tools safely on all jobs. Ability to identify the plumbing problems quickly. Must have a local valid driver license (category B). Able to lift 50 pounds unassisted. The incumbent must be skilled at reading and interpreting technical documents including layout drawings, as-built drawings, riser diagrams, equipment schedules, operations and maintenance manuals, and other manufacturer’s literature.
These may be tested.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY (EEO): The U.S. Mission provides equal opportunity and fair and equitable treatment in employment to all people without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, political affiliation, marital status, or sexual orientation.
Qualified female applicants are encouraged to apply.
- All applicants under consideration will be required to pass medical and security certifications.
Benefits and Other Info
- Agency Benefits:
- Locally Employed Staff, including Members of Household (MOHs), and Third-Country Nationals (TCNs), working at the U.S. Mission in Yaounde, Cameroon may receive a compensation package that may include health, separation, and other benefits.
For EFMs, benefits should be discussed with the Human Resources Office.
The pay plan is assigned at the time of the conditional offer letter by the HR Office.
- Other Information:
- For the current COVID-19 Requirements please visit the following link.
HIRING PREFERENCE SELECTION PROCESS: Applicants in the following hiring preference categories are extended a hiring preference in the order listed below. Therefore, it is essential that these applicants accurately describe their status on the application. Failure to do so may result in a determination that the applicant is not eligible for a hiring preference.
HIRING PREFERENCE ORDER:
1. AEFM / USEFM who is a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran*
2. AEFM / USEFM
3. FS on LWOP and CS with reemployment rights **
* IMPORTANT: Applicants who claim status as a preference-eligible U.S. Veteran must submit a copy of their most recent DD-214 (“Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty”), Letter from Veterans’ Affairs which indicates the present existence of a service-connected disability dated within the past six months, equivalent documentation, or certification. A “certification” is any written document from the armed forces that certifies the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions within 120 days after the certification is submitted by the applicant. The certification letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. Acceptable documentation must be submitted in order for the preference to be given.
** This level of preference applies to all Foreign Service employees on LWOP and CS with re-employment rights back to their agency or bureau.
For more information (i.e., what is an EFM, USEFM, AEFM, MOH, etc.?) and for additional employment considerations, please visit the following link.
How to Apply
- How to Apply:
- All candidates must be able to obtain and hold a Medical and Security clearances from the U.S. Embassy.
To apply for this position click the “Submit Application” button. For more information on how to apply visit the Mission internet site.
- Required Documents:
- Please provide the required documentation listed below with your application:
- GCE Advanced Level or BACC, or Equivalent
- Vocational Training Certificate
- Driver’s License
- Residency and/or Work Permit (if applicable)
- DD-214 – Member Copy 4, Letter from Veterans’ Affairs, or other supporting documentation (if applicable)
- SF-50 (if applicable)
- Other Documents
- Other Documents 2
- Next Steps:
- Applicants who are invited to take a language or skills test, or who are selected for an interview will be contacted via email.
For further information – the complete position description listing all of the duties, responsibilities, required qualifications, etc. may be obtained by contacting the Human Resources Office.
Thank you for your application and your interest in working at the U.S. Mission in Yaounde, Cameroon.
To apply for this job please visit erajobs.state.gov.