Background: The Center for Health Promotion and Research provides high-quality diagnostic services, undertakes programs to strengthen health provision, and engages in research to increase knowledge and inform policy change.
Position summary: Provide accurate, timely and effective testing of client specimens to aid to diagnose, manage, treat and prevent diseases, in compliance and harmony with the quality management system. Depending on the employee skill set and organizational needs, may also assist to coordinate laboratory activities or assist to conduct research in the area of public health. Full-time position, based in Bamenda with ~ 5-15% travel to other regions.
Responsibilities may involve some or all of the following, depending on employee skill set:
- Perform technical laboratory procedures according to laboratory and international standards to aid in the diagnosis and treatment of disease
- Identify areas for improvement of lab QMS and propose and contribute to the development of plans and implementation of improvement activities
- Contribute to manage and improve laboratory information systems, including electronic data records system and document control
- Use data visualization and analysis software (eg. Excel) to create and update graphs, charts, and tables for performance monitoring and reporting
- Keep accurate records and prepare reports on laboratory activities
- Participate in quality control and quality improvement for laboratory indicators; recognize out of control values, take corrective action, and communicate changes
- Exhibit good knowledge of instrumentation, theory, and application of new and existing tests to perform them safely and accurately
- Investigate and resolve technical problems to facilitate the smooth flow of work
- Perform other duties as needed
- EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or higher in health sciences or related area
- Strong interest to work as part of team to improve public health
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Highly self-motivated and able to work independently
- Willingness to share call duty and work different shifts as required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English or French, good working knowledge in the other language is an advantage
- Detail oriented
- Good computer skills (Word, Excel, etc.)
- Demonstrates respect and regard for the dignity of all patients, families, visitors and fellow employees to ensure a professional, responsible and courteous environment
This position is planned for 6 months with possibility for renewal depending on funding availability.
If interested, please prepare a complete application including an application letter, current CV, copies of certificates and diplomas; at least two reference letters will be an advantage. In your cover letter, please highlight your areas of expertise and interest related to the possible job responsibilities listed above. Please note that only applications submitted by email will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Submit all documents by email to email@example.com and indicate “Medical Laboratory Scientist” in the subject line.
The deadline for submitting an application is February 24, 2023.