Date: 14 Feb. 2023
Location: ethiopia, ethiopia
Organization: African Union
Established as a unique pan-African continental organization, the African Union is charged with leading the process of rapid integration and sustainable development of Africa through the promotion of unity, solidarity, cohesion and cooperation between African peoples and States, as well as the establishment of a new partnership with other regions of the world.
The Headquarters of the African Union is established in Addis Ababa, the capital of Ethiopia.
To achieve this objective, the African Union intends to strengthen its capacity to carry out its mission by, among other things, implementing its organizational structure.
To this end, the African Union Commission invites candidates from all Member States of the Union to apply for its internship program.
• Respect for diversity and teamwork • Africa first
• Transparency and accountability • Integrity and impartiality
• Efficiency and professionalism • Information and knowledge sharing
Objective of the internships
The AU Internship Program provides an opportunity for qualified candidates from a variety of academic backgrounds to gain work experience within the AU. As an organization that promotes respect for diversity and teamwork, we encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Applicants should have a keen interest in the work of the AU and demonstrate an ability to interact with people of diverse cultural backgrounds and beliefs.
The program aims to introduce participants to the workings of the AU at an early stage in their professional careers and to enhance their personal and professional skills. It offers participants the opportunity to gain practical experience in various fields of specialization, while evolving in an intercultural environment. The AU will benefit from it insofar as the participants have adequate knowledge and skills in the fields concerned and can constitute an incubator for future African leaders.
Areas of expertise
In general, interns assist in providing administrative and technical support for the effective implementation of African Union programmes, projects and activities in the departments/directorates listed below:
– Office of the Vice President
– Department of Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment (DARBE)
– Economic Development, Trade, Industry and Mining (ETIM)
– Education, Science, Technology and Innovation (ESTI)
– Infrastructure and Energy (IE )
– Political Affairs, Peace and Security (PAPS)
– Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development (HHS)
– Human Resource Management (HRM)
– Operations Support Services
– Integrated Management System Division
– Enterprise Resource Planning ( ERP)
– Conference and Publications Management (CMP)
– Office of Security and Safety Services
– Citizens and Diaspora Directorate (CIDO)
– Health and Medical Care Services
– Financial Control Unit
– Office of Strategic Planning and Execution
– Office of Internal Control (OIO)
– Quality Assurance and Control
– Ethics, Integrity and Standards
– Office of the Secretary of the Commission
– Office of the General Counsel (OLC)
– Office of Protocol
– Partnership and Resource Mobilization
– Women, Gender and Youth (WGY)
– Information and Communication
– Peace Fund Secretariat
– New Partnership for Africa’s Development (NEPAD)
• Active enrollment in at least the last year of a Bachelor’s degree program OR
• Hold a Bachelor’s degree or a second or third cycle (Master’s) degree in a related university field;
• Be a national of an African Union Member State;
• Be a full-time student and be enrolled in the final year of a License or Master’s degree;
• Proficiency in at least one of the African Union working languages (Arabic, English, French or Portuguese);
• Be thirty-two (32) years old maximum at the time of selection;
• Have irreproachable moral conduct and integrity;
• Not be convicted of a serious criminal offence, with the exception of minor traffic offences;
• Prior work experience is not required for intern positions.
Terms and conditions
• The AU assumes no financial obligation towards the intern – travel arrangements, cost of accommodation and living expenses are the responsibility of the intern.
• The AU will make reasonable efforts to assist the intern in obtaining entry and residence visas.
• The trainee receives no compensation for his trip.
• The internship is granted only once for a period of three (3) months, renewable only once.
• The Commission does not bear the cost of travel for medical treatment or for medical evacuation to and from the placement location. The intern must therefore have individual insurance cover for the entire duration of the internship.
• In-depth computer knowledge (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint);
• Proficiency in e-mail and Internet applications;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Ability to communicate orally and in writing;
• Proficiency in one of the official working languages of the African Union (English, Arabic, Spanish, French, Kiswahili or Portuguese). Knowledge of another AU language would be an added advantage.
• Ability to communicate clearly;
• Ability to write clearly and concisely;
• Demonstrate professional motivation;
• Ability to work harmoniously in a multicultural environment;
• Have the highest degree of morality and integrity.
The application to join the AU internship program must be submitted online.
You will need to register before you can log in if you are using our online registration system for the first time. We advise you to provide as much relevant information as possible.
The candidate must submit the following supporting documents with their online application:
• A letter of motivation indicating what the candidate hopes to acquire within the framework of the internship programme;
• A copy of the valid passport or national identity card;
• Certified copies of relevant academic documents;
• An up-to-date Curriculum Vitae (CV);
• A letter of recommendation for the internship from the educational institution to which it belongs.
Once the application has been accepted, the candidate receives an e-mail confirming the receipt of his application.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.au.int.