Location: Yaounde, Cameroon
Company: Plan International
Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organisation that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And it’s girls who are most affected.
Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. And we enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for over 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries.
Position Grants Accountant Grade C2
Department & Location Grants Department, Country Office Date
Reports to (position): Business Development Manager
Purpose: Responsible for Grants financial operations support function. H/She ensures conformity with Grants reporting requirements and the stringent compliance standards established by the Donor in agreement with Plan for the implementation of various projects.
Dimensions of Role:
• Business planning processes
• Accounting and treasury
• Financial reporting and analysis
• Capacity building
What are the outputs and deliverables?
1. Business planning process
• Participate in the annual budgeting process
• Participate in the review of the grant proposals to ensure compliance with Plan internal requirements and that part of the budget is allocated to cover regular Plan International expenditures (salaries, rent, utilities…)
• Review project’s invoice before submission to the donor and prepare request of payment for income recovery (local donor)
• Ensure derivation and budget uploading of Each project.
2. Accounting and treasury:
• Ensure that journal entries are prepared on a monthly basis for salary cost recovery
• Ensure that the overhead budget is recover on a quarterly basis through payment and journal vouchers
3. Financial reporting and analysis:
• Prepare a Budget Versus Actual for overhead budget on a monthly basis
• Prepare the cost recovery report on a monthly basis on the approved budget before recording to the General Ledger (Accounting system)
• Resolving journal posting difficulties encountered by project staff
• Prepare IGF (Indicative Grants funding) on monthly basis, Grants burn rate and Time sheet
• Ensuring project files (both soft and hard copies) are complete and up to date.
• Budget review for each PO
4. Capacity Building
Building the capacity of non-Accounting staff to acquire knowledge in finance procedures Dealing with Problems:
• Ability to draft clear and precise report in responding to grants queries
• A good understanding of Plan financial systems and grants management system for efficiency and compliance
• Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
• Must have very good interpersonal relationship with colleagues and supervisors.
Communications and Working Relationships:
• Grants Project/Program Coordinators and manger – high
• Program Technical Advisor – Medium
• Program Support Manager – Medium
• Country Finance Manager – High
• Grants Accountant – High
• Grants Support Manager – High
• Country Accountant – High
• Business Analyst- High
• PUMs- Low
• Partners (Medium)
• NO finance/compliance staff
Qualification and Experience
• University degree in Accounting/Finance/Management
• At least 3 years experience in a similar role or in grants management
• Fair knowledge of project management
• Good experience and knowledge of accounting and grant funds management regulations and procedures;
• Good experience and knowledge on internal financial controls and procedures.
• Good experience in project reporting requirements and knowledge of Plan’s financial systems and procedures.
• Good team player (ability to work in a team)
• Proficient in Microsoft applications especially spread sheets (e.g. excel)
• Good communication skills both oral and written
• Ability to work under pressure and deliver to tight deadlines
• Self starter and innovative
• Good English and French is an asset
• Independent minded, objective and demonstrate a sense of integrity.
• Organized, methodic and meticulous
• Innovation and willingness to learn at a faster rate
• Remains calm and positive under pressure and in difficult situations
• Aware of impact on others and adjusting own behaviour accordingly
• Tolerant of difference – cultural sensitivity in relation to its impact on HR
• Monthly feedback on time
• Monthly Reporting on time.
Physical Environment and Demands:
The position holder will work in a typical office environment with some of his/her colleagues in same office environment and others on the field. The Mobility in the Plan Program Units will be about 10%.
Level of Contact with Children:
Low contact: No contact or very low frequency of interaction
Mid contact: Occasional interaction with children
High level: Frequent interaction with children
Low contact: – the job responsibilities of this position requires the post holder to have very low contact with children during field visits.
Closing Date: 21-05-22
Click here to view related jobs
To apply for this job please visit jobs.plan-international.org.