Job no: 550418
Contract type: Fixed Term Appointment
Duty Station: Maroua
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, care!
UNICEF has been working in Cameroon since 1975 to allow women and children to fully realize their rights to development without restriction, as enshrined in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. UNICEF provides financial and technical support to Cameroon across seven areas to fully realize the rights of women and children. These areas include Health, HIV/AIDS, Water-sanitation-Hygiene, nutrition, education, child protection, and social inclusion. UNICEF focuses mainly on children and the most vulnerable and excluded families. Cameroon’s 2020 population is estimated at 26,545,863 people according to UN data. The population is young and generates strong socioeconomic demand. In rural areas, limited access to basic social services and the effects of climate change led to household impoverishment and severe child deprivations. The task is immense but not insurmountable; it requires the energy of all stakeholders in Cameroon and out of Cameroon: also, women, men, youth and children, government, technical and financial partners, donors, civil society, the private sector, parliamentarians, communities. Everyone is invited to take part in the struggle to meet the challenges that lie ahead. It is together that we will act for Cameroon, a country that summarizes the challenges and hopes of Africa.
To learn more about UNICEF Cameroon, use the below link
How can you make a difference?
The purpose of the job
Provides professional technical assistance to project design, planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and administration of Immunization (EPI) programme/project activities, including data analysis, programme support, delivery, progress reporting, and commitment to the expansion of immunization coverage, as well as enhancement of teamwork and capacity building, in support of the achievement of planned objectives of the work plan, aligned with country programme goals, objectives, and strategy).
III. Key functions, accountabilities, and related duties/tasks
- Accurate, complete and up-to-date programme/project management information is available for effective budget preparation, programme/project design, implementation, management, and evaluation.
Ensures the availability of accurate, complete, and up-to-date information required for effective Immunization programme and project design, implementation, management, monitoring, and evaluation. Drafts Immunization programme budgets for review by the supervisor, ensuring accuracy and appropriateness of data and coding. Drafts updated project status reports.
Assembles and provides updated data and information on national immunization programmes and financial/administrative status for monitoring, analysis, and analysis. Analyses the programme status and recommends appropriate adjustments as necessary.
- Project efficiency, effectiveness, and vaccination coverage are enhanced through effective implementation follow-on.
Enhances project efficiency and effectiveness through implementation follow-on, including monitoring UNICEF inputs, local conditions and resources, the flow of supply and non-supply assistance, and Immunization project status.
Undertakes field visits to districts and sub-districts for monitoring of project activities and to improve immunization coverage. Prepares reports on the results of the field visits and progress of vaccination coverage.
- Progress reports and project work plans are timely prepared, and effective technical support is provided in the drafting of the donor, annual, and other reports/project documentation related to EPI.
Collects assembles and analyses data and information, and drafts progress reports; proposes changes in Immunization project work plans and identification of required supplies and equipment. Assists in drafting sections of the donor, annual, and other project documentation related to EPI, ensuring accuracy and consistency with established rules, regulations, and plans of action
- Appropriateness and completeness of financial and supply documentation as well as adherence to established allotments are ensured.
Monitor’s flow of supply and non-supply assistance to local authorities. Records supply and non-supply inventory and a quarterly update on cold chain equipment, distribution, and utilization.
Ensures the appropriateness of financial, administrative, and supply documentation; verifies that Immunization project expenditures are within allotments and that data is consistent with the project information and database (e.g., FLS, ProMS). Follows up on queries or initiates corrective action on discrepancies.
- The capacities of Country Office staff and teamwork are strengthened through effective capacity-building activities in the development, implementation, and management of the Immunization Programme.
Supports a staff training/development programme to upgrade the capacity of the Country Office staff in the programme development, implementation, and management of the Immunization Programme. Conducts relevant orientation, workshop, teamwork facilitation, and staff learning/development activities ensures that vaccination teams (acceleration) are properly trained on the various aspect of EPI; participates in training activities and micro-planning workshops
- Knowledge sharing with donors and media is promoted.
Compiles Immunization project implementation training and orientation materials, and shares useful and appropriate information to promote knowledge sharing with donors and media
- Effective communication, networking, and collaboration are achieved with internal and external partners.
Ensures that effective communication, networking, and working relationships are developed and maintained.
- Collaborates with Operations staff to resolve day-to-day issues or discrepancies in financial or supply management.
- Works with local government counterparts to exchange detailed information on Immunization project implementation and status as well as movement and distribution of supplies. Provides technical support in the planning of district EPI micro-plan.
- Arranges field visits to project sites for government and other partners, providing necessary information for a briefing on the project. Participates in the study of the project status and evaluation as required.
- Liaises with members of the development community, including NGOs, UN, and bilateral agencies in the exchange of information relating to the Immunization sector.
IV. Impact of Results
- Project implementation progress is monitored and evaluated for adjustment, acceleration, and improvement of program delivery and sustainability
- All required Program reports are timely prepared in compliance with the established guidelines and procedures.
- Timely sectoral analysis, input, support, and coordination contribute to the Situation Analysis with consistent data and periodic updates for effective project planning, development, and management
V. Competencies and level of proficiency required
Core Competencies (For Staff without Supervisory Responsibilities) *
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have
University degree in one of the disciplines relevant to the following areas: Social Sciences, Medicine, Health, Public Health, Family Health, Child Development, Nursing, or a field relevant to international development assistance in Immunization and Child Survival & Health Care.
Background/familiarity with Emergency
One year of relevant professional work experience. Experience working in the UN or other international development organization (for IP). Fieldwork experience (for NO). Experience in knowledge management. Training and experience in social welfare, or Immunization/ health care.
Fluency in French. Working knowledge of English is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA).
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
Core Competencies *
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2)
- Works Collaboratively with others (2)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (2)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (2)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (2)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.
Candidates are requested to upload a copy of their degree certificate.
Female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Advertised: 22 Apr 2022 W. Central Africa Standard Time
Deadline: 02 May 2022 W. Central Africa Standard Time
To apply for this job please visit jobs.unicef.org.