As part of its humanitarian activities, the French association Première Urgence Internationale is looking for: A DEPUTY MANAGER FOR THE WATER, HYGIENE AND SANITATION PROJECT
Première Urgence Internationale (PUI) is a Non-Governmental Organization of international solidarity, non-profit, apolitical and secular. Its objective is to meet all the basic needs of civilian victims endangered, marginalized or excluded by the effects of natural disasters, wars and situations of economic collapse. PUI is present in 22 countries, in Africa, Asia, the Middle East, the Caucasus and the Caribbean, and operates in the areas of food security, health, nutrition, infrastructure rehabilitation, water , sanitation and economic recovery.
PUI has been present in Cameroon since 2008, first on the East / Adamaoua front then in the Far North (EN) in 2014/2015, via its base in Maroua. It carries out emergency and recovery activities in Water, Hygiene and Sanitation (WASH), Nutritional Food Security and Livelihoods (SANME), Essential Household Items (AME)/Shelter. Since 2017, PUI has expanded into Logone-et-Chari (LC) from its base in Kousseri where teams carry out projects in SANME, EHA, Abri, AME as part of the Rapid Response Mechanism (RRM).
In 2022 PUI set up an RRM in the West region. Indeed, in recent years, Cameroon has been facing an internal crisis in the English-speaking regions of the North West and South West (NOSO). This crisis, initially based on corporatist demands from lawyers and teachers, gradually shifted towards strong secessionist demands and violent armed clashes.
These events lead to significant displacements of populations fleeing to areas considered safer, particularly in the Littoral and West regions.
PUI wishes to continue assistance to displaced persons from NOSO in the West region and extend the RRM to the Littoral region in 2023.
In this context, PUI is recruiting a Deputy ARP EHA .
Under the direct responsibility of the Project Managers (PR) and in functional link with the CT of Maroua (Referent Wash Mission), the Deputy RP EHA Bafoussam is in charge of: The implementation of the first phase of
the action and takes responsibility for supervising the action for the second phase.
- He/she works closely with the PR to implement the strategy defined within the framework of the project.
- He/she assumes, under the delegation and supervision of the RP, the responsibility for the implementation of activities through the search for solutions, the work with the municipalities, the planning of activities as well as their monitoring and evaluation.
- It also takes into account the administrative, financial and logistical imperatives that are necessary for the smooth running of the activities. Participate in the realization of capitalization activities and support the dissemination of lessons learned from the project.
Responsibilities and fields of action
1. PROGRAM SUPERVISION
2. HUMAN RESOURCES MANAGEMENT
3. FINANCIAL AND LOGISTIC MANAGEMENT OF THE WATER AND SANITATION PROGRAM
5. IDENTIFICATION OF FUTURE PROJECTS FOR THE MISSION Specific objectives and associated activities
1. PROGRAM OVERSIGHT
- He/She selects with his team, the intervention sites and supervises the preliminary investigations.
- He/She ensures that the municipalities and local populations understand the objectives of the project(s) and participate actively in its implementation.
- He/She plans the activities and ensures compliance with the activity schedule. In the event of a significant delay in the implementation of the project(s), he/she immediately informs his/her line manager and proposes solutions to remedy it.
- He/She contributes to the validation of the technical choices of the project/s.
- He/She participates under the supervision of the project manager and with the support of the WASH Technical Referent in the development, quotes, CCTP and contracts for the construction of hydraulic and sanitation works.
- He/She participates in the development of schedules for the construction/rehabilitation of water points (PMH, springs, etc.) and sanitation works under the supervision of the project manager and with the support of the WASH Technical Referent.
- He/She verifies / controls in the field the quality of the work carried out.
- He/She works with the relevant stakeholders to develop the strategy for implementing community awareness and mobilization activities: training of water point management committees (CGPE), community hygiene agents ( ACH), awareness-raising actions.
- He/She draws up plans for awareness-raising and local capacity building activities, in conjunction with the WASH team and the partner(s) involved in the project.
- He/She supervises the development of tools and theoretical and practical training materials on themes related to water, hygiene and sanitation, particularly around the maintenance and good governance of water points under the supervision of the project manager and with the support of the WASH Technical Referent
- He/She organizes and supervises the capacity building work of the municipalities, in conjunction with the WASH team. He/She participates in the development of tools and training modules, in conjunction with the WASH team.
- He/She ensures the transmission of information and the proper involvement of elected officials and municipal technicians in activities related to support for decentralization.
- He/She organizes the training and follow-up of craftsmen repairing human-powered pumps (PMH).
- He/She supervises the carrying out of tests on water points and the application of corrective measures, building the capacity of his/her team.
Cross-cutting program supervision activities
- He/She ensures the smooth running of the current project while respecting the deadlines for the achievements.
- He/She presents the objectives, activities and strategic lines of the project to his/her team and ensures that they are understood and clearly communicated to beneficiaries and authorities.
- He/She distributes the schedule of activities to his/her team and ensures that this schedule is understood and respected.
- He/She prepares the technical and methodological documentation and makes it available to his/her teams.
- He/She organizes the monitoring and follow-up of activities.
- He/She evaluates the activities carried out and proposes strategic reorientations.
2. TEAM MANAGEMENT
- He/She is the line manager of the WASH Supervisor.
- He/She organizes, directs and supervises his/her activities.
- He/She sets up the schedule of activities and ensures its dissemination and follow-up.
- He/She organizes in collaboration with the Project Manager the regular evaluations of the members of his team (Staffs PUI, staffs of the partners on the Wash component, possible volunteers in Wash…).
- He/She ensures with the project manager that the safety of his teams is ensured (means of transport, means of communication, etc.).
- He/She contributes to ensuring that the internal rules of PUI are respected by his/her team.
- Under the supervision of the project manager, he/she transmits, explains and enforces all PUI procedures and administrative decisions to his/her team.
- He/She identifies the training needs of his team and completes the training of this team if necessary.
- He/She participates in recruitment when necessary.
3. FINANCIAL AND LOGISTIC MANAGEMENT OF “WATER AND SANITATION” PROGRAMS
- He/She participates, in collaboration with the project manager and the logistics and finance departments, in the management of the financial and material resources allocated to the programs in accordance with the internal procedures of PUI and those of the donors, and carries out the monitoring and the analysis of budget consumption in connection with the activities of its programs.
- He/She ensures that the administrative and logistical procedures are well implemented at the level of the municipalities and escalates the problems raised to his hierarchical manager
- He/She sends the technical manager a weekly forecast of expenses and participates in the preparation of the monthly forecast.
- He/She carries out, in collaboration with the project manager, the purchasing schedules related to the activities he/she monitors, as well as the distribution and supply schedules for the sites.
- He/She plans logistical needs and communicates them to his/her line manager, in accordance with the indications of the purchasing plan.
- He/She participates in technical support for purchases related to his/her activity (precise drafting of ADs, participation in Calls for Tenders, Acceptance of purchases, etc.).
- He/She is responsible for transmitting logistical needs on a weekly basis, he/she gives his/her approval for local aid purchases and submits some of them to the Technical Referent for approval (according to internal rules and those of donors).
- He/She ensures the application of internal procedures and those of donors within the EHA team.
- He/She organizes the collection and synthesis of data relating to the project.
- He/She regularly transmits information concerning the progress of the program to the project manager by copying the technical referent for support/possible alert.
- He/She writes a monthly activity report which he/she sends to the project manager with a copy to the technical referents.
- He/She regularly organizes and leads technical coordination meetings with his/her team.
- He/She participates in drafting project proposals and activity reports to be submitted to donors (intermediate report/final report).
- He/She represents the association with donors, local authorities and the technical services of the Ministries concerned.
- He/She participates in internal coordination meetings and distributes the report of this meeting to his/her teams.
- He/She participates in the coordination meetings inherent to his field of activity (inter-NGO meeting, WASH sector, etc.).
- He/She respects the security rules applied within PUI and participates in their dissemination. He/She must transmit to his/her superiors all information in his/her possession relating to safety in the area of intervention of PUI, or which may have consequences for this same area.
5. IDENTIFICATION OF FUTURE PROJECTS FOR THE MISSION:
- With the support of the EHA technical referent, he/she is the technical referent for the analysis of needs and the preparation of new projects related to WASH (evaluation, technical report for the preparation of project proposals) .
- With the support of the EHA technical referent, he/she is the technical referent for the calculation of the aid budget for new projects and prepares the details of the aid budgets as a team.
- He/She participates in the drafting of evaluation reports and the drafting of new project proposals.
The list of tasks described above constitutes the general framework of your functions, your job profile may be clarified or modified at your request, at the request of your line manager and after validation by the administration.
- Hold an engineering degree in the following fields (civil engineering, hydraulics, hydrogeology, sanitation, waste).
Professional experience :
- Experience of at least 03 years in a similar position in an International Organization.
Mandatory knowledge and skills
- Project management
- Site monitoring
- Good writing ability
- Team coaching
- Knowledge of hydraulics and sanitation
- Training / Capacity building
- Compliance with Administrative and Logistics procedures
- Excellent mastery of the Office Pack
- Knowledge of Western and/or coastal languages (Pidgin, Yemba, etc.)
Knowledge and skills appreciated
- Work in collaboration with the authorities
- Experience working with refugees, internally displaced
- Knowledge of the areas of intervention
Personal characteristics required:
- Honesty, transparency, impartiality and integrity
- Sense of commitment, reliability and rigor
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
- Ability to adapt and great flexibility.
- Diplomacy and negotiation
- Stress management and meeting deadlines
- Autonomy, dynamism, strength of proposal
- Position based in Bafoussam (Western region)
- Fixed Term Contract.
- Salary defined according to the PUI salary grid.
- Started in March 2023.
- Candidates who are nationals of the locality of recruitment and/or resident will be given priority.
- Female candidates are strongly encouraged.
HOW TO APPLY?
THE CANDIDATE MUST COMPLETE THE QUESTIONNAIRE ONLINE VIA THE LINK https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=K-qPwVmLHEikU3LK3T1ufTV7SuMnUmJKmqcYFWUagBFUNklYS0FURUZLNFhDRDZHNUk0UkhWV0lQOS4u , TO THE EMAIL ADDRESS email@example.com “ HIS NAME + JOB TITLE” IN THE SUBJECT.
DOSSIERS PROVIDED WILL NOT BE RETURNED TO CANDIDATES.
1- THE CANDIDATE MUST EXPLICITLY SPECIFY THE POSITION FOR WHICH HE/SHE IS APPLYING.
2- ONLY PRE-SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE PERSONALLY CONTACTED.
3- THE ORIGINALS OF THE DIPLOMAS, WORK CERTIFICATE, RECOMMENDATIONS MUST BE BROUGHT BY THE CANDIDATES CONVENED FOR THE TESTS AND INTERVIEWS.
DEADLINE FOR FILING: Thursday, March 16, 2023.