CAD is seeking an Agricultural Economist who will serve as the Cooperative Assistant to provide technical support to eco-cooperatives, within the framework of the Leading the Change Project. The Agricultural Economist is expected to enhance and scale up program impact through application of knowledge on agro-ecological businesses within and around protected areas (PAs) in the South West Region. The main function is to develop, update and lead the implementation of cooperative green business development strategies and plans for the 14 cooperatives supported by CAD, FORUDEF and EGI. The key areas of performance are as follows:
- Develop systems and tools used to more effectively monitor and evaluate outcomes and impacts (socio-economic and conservation) of local cooperatives’ forest-based (honey production and NTFP collection) and livestock projects that contribute to productivity and profit maximization, with minimum investment in communities (gender, household, …) within the program area;
- Implement, adapt and update CSOs and CBOs green business development strategy;
- Develop the systems and tools to more effectively manage the database of cooperative projects (green business development, forest-based livelihood initiatives…;
- Develop innovative methods for problem solving for cooperatives and their businesses;
- Design a strategy to strengthen linkages between cooperatives, civil society organizations,
government ministries and the private sector (e.g. micro-finance institutions, banks,…).
- Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct economic analysis on cost of production, profitability, financial and economic return analysis of cooperative green business enterprises (green business development);
- Build capacity of cooperatives in collecting, compiling and analysing data on their green business development initiatives;
- Conduct training needs assessment of cooperatives and facilitate relevant trainings;
- Provide technical support in the establishment of a cooperative database to keep them
informed on the prevailing market prices for their products;
- Devise simple and basic data collection methods and tools and train cooperatives in gathering important data from their green business projects, as well as ensuring their effective use;
- Produce analytical reports in a concise and timely fashion on cooperative green business initiatives, showcasing their outcomes and impacts;
- Collect market information regarding the products of cooperatives and develop price predictions of their products, including reason for such changes;
- Develop client database by identifying relevant buyers (wholesalers & retailers) and marketing services to them;
- Provide direct capacity support to cooperatives in the areas of governance, leadership, reporting, bookkeeping, business planning, benefit sharing, human resources, board development, communications, planning…;
- Document all information related to project successes, including lessons and best practices and most significant change stories on the project;
- Support the development, implementation, adaptation and updating of cooperatives’ business plans, benefit sharing schemes, and monitor and report the use of the benefits earned or shared;
- Support cooperatives in developing, analysing and strengthening of value-chain schemes and markets for honey, NTFP, piggery and poultry;
- Write project proposals and scout for donors;
- Carry out other activities as delegated by the Coordinator.
Required Functional skills
- Minimum qualification is a Bachelor’s degree in a discipline related to agro-economics, Agriculture, agribusiness, market systems, private sector development, statistics, with some knowledge in cooperative management;
- Demonstrated organizational and technical programmatic experience for at least 2 years in areas related to agro-economics, community development, including cooperative management, in an intergovernmental or international development-oriented organization;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and/monitoring and evaluating community-based activities on agriculture value chains, private sector development, and market systems development;
- Demonstrated experience in working with communities and different stakeholders and partners in related areas;
- Demonstrated understanding of natural resources management, green business, cooperative management, socio-economic development and the relevant global processes;
- Fully computer literate – skilled and confident in using office applications such as MS office (word, excel, access, power point), etc.;
- Proactive approach to meeting deadlines and delivering results with limited supervision;
- Excellent research, data collecting and analytical skills;
- Excellent organizational written (analytical) and verbal communication (presentation) skills in English and French;
- Good time management and organizational skills, ability to prioritize and execute activities;
- Possess skills or openness to working with people from different cultures;
- Must be self-motivated and have the ability to work and communicate well in a team;
- Ability to produce quality, concise and timely reports as well work under pressure.
Required Behavioural skills
- Ability to lead teams;
- Team spirit, integrity, honesty, and discretion;
- Adhere to CAD’s values: Knowledgeable, Optimistic, Determined, and Engaging.
- Working Relationships
Internal: CAD staff
External: External auditors, NGOs, funding and technical partners, local authorities…
An application letter, CV, and copy of the highest certificate or diploma should be sent to Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or deposited at CAD’s Head Office at Street five(5), Bangem or P.O Box 85 Bangem, South West Region, Cameroon.
Deadline for applications: 05 June 2022 at 4 pm.
Thank you in advance for your interest in this position. Please note that only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for follow-up. If you have not been contacted two (2) weeks after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful.
Female applicants are encouraged. CAD is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to having a diverse workforce.