Biomonitoring Intern, Faro National Park
The African Wildlife Foundation, Cameroon Office has initiated a Young Graduate Professional Internship Programme to offer an opportunity to young graduates to gain experience in conservation and to familiarize with the non-governmental organization environment.
The Biomonitoring Intern will support the Faro National Park team in the general coordination of in-field and ongoing ecological monitoring and patrol activities. This position will report to the Biomonitoring Officer. He or She will work closely with rangers/community members or guides to ensure ecological data is collected, compiled and achieved following AWF procedures. He/she will also give a support to Biomonitoring Officer by downloading camera trap data into the database for identification and reporting.
Location: Faro National Park Headquarters in Voko (with option to be transferred to Dja Biosphere Reserve or Campo-Ma’an National Park)
Duration: One (01) Year
1. Support implementation of ongoing ecological monitoring activities in Faro National Park and its peripheries, with data collection and management following relevant established Monitoring protocols;
2. Assist in planning, conducting and reporting of patrol missions;
3. Support the management of camera traps, deployment and ensure the camera trap database is up to date;
4. Ensure communication between rangers in the field and base is effective through the InReach System in the operational Control Room;
5. Work closely with rangers and coordinate field deployment and pickup for camera traps in the field;
6. Assist rangers with data management and analysis and train/strengthen the capacity of appointed park rangers for these tasks;
7. Under supervision of the Protected Area Technical Advisor, produce concise and well written field reports on a regular basis to ensure that the TA and other AWF staff are well briefed on program activities;
8. Provide other support to the Technical Advisor when necessary.
The Young Graduate Professional Internship Program is a learning opportunity, therefore, the Professional intern MUST demonstrate a strong aptitude and motivation to learn and grow. He/she should be opened to feedback and ready to take initiatives.
· MSc Degree in Ecology, Wildlife, Biology, Natural Resources Management, Conservation, Protected Area Management or related subjects.
· Familiarity with GIS analysis (particularly ArcGIS or QGIS).
· Proven statistics and data analysis capacities (Excel, other relevant software).
· Ability to manage databases; experience with managing files on Google Drive.
· At least one year of proven experience on similar topic.
Required skills and competencies
· Good skills – both written and verbal (English and French).
· Good computer skills (MS Office package, online research, etc.).
· IT skills are an asset.
· Culturally aware and able to work effectively in various cultural environments.
· Capable of working with minimal supervision in an isolated and relatively challenging environment.
Adheres to AWF’s values
Click here to view related jobs
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.