Biomonitoring Intern, Faro National Park
The African Wildlife Foundation, Cameroon Office has initiated a Young Graduate Professional Internship Programme to offer an opportunity to young graduates to gain experience in conservation and to familiarize with the non-governmental organization environment.
The Biomonitoring Intern will support the Faro National Park team in the general coordination of in-field and ongoing ecological monitoring and patrol activities. This position will report to the Biomonitoring Officer. He or She will work closely with rangers/community members or guides to ensure ecological data is collected, compiled and achieved following AWF procedures. He/she will also give a support to Biomonitoring Officer by downloading camera trap data into the database for identification and reporting.
Location: Faro National Park Headquarters in Voko (with option to be transferred to Dja Biosphere Reserve or Campo-Ma’an National Park)
Duration: One (01) Year
1. Support implementation of ongoing ecological monitoring activities in Faro National Park and its peripheries, with data collection and management following relevant established Monitoring protocols;
2. Assist in planning, conducting and reporting of patrol missions;
3. Support the management of camera traps, deployment and ensure the camera trap database is up to date;
4. Ensure communication between rangers in the field and base is effective through the InReach System in the operational Control Room;
5. Work closely with rangers and coordinate field deployment and pickup for camera traps in the field;
6. Assist rangers with data management and analysis and train/strengthen the capacity of appointed park rangers for these tasks;
7. Under supervision of the Protected Area Technical Advisor, produce concise and well written field reports on a regular basis to ensure that the TA and other AWF staff are well briefed on program activities;
8. Provide other support to the Technical Advisor when necessary.
The Young Graduate Professional Internship Program is a learning opportunity, therefore, the Professional intern MUST demonstrate a strong aptitude and motivation to learn and grow. He/she should be opened to feedback and ready to take initiatives.
· MSc Degree in Ecology, Wildlife, Biology, Natural Resources Management, Conservation, Protected Area Management or related subjects.
· Familiarity with GIS analysis (particularly ArcGIS or QGIS).
· Proven statistics and data analysis capacities (Excel, other relevant software).
· Ability to manage databases; experience with managing files on Google Drive.
· At least one year of proven experience on similar topic.
Required skills and competencies
· Good skills – both written and verbal (English and French).
· Good computer skills (MS Office package, online research, etc.).
· IT skills are an asset.
· Culturally aware and able to work effectively in various cultural environments.
· Capable of working with minimal supervision in an isolated and relatively challenging environment.
Adheres to AWF’s values
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.