Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF)
Job Title: Associate Research Officer (Research Monitor)
Location: Littoral and Center regions Cameroon
Reports to: Study Coordinators
Contract Duration consultancy: 2 months starting in May 2022
Terms of Offer: This position is remunerated on local terms.
“Sometimes in life there is that moment when it’s possible to make a change for the better. This is one of those moments.”
The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation is a global leader in the fight against pediatric HIV and AIDS, working in 15 countries and at over 5,500 sites around the world to prevent the transmission of HIV to children, and to help those already infected. Today, because of the highly successful work of the Foundation and its partners, pediatric AIDS has been virtually eliminated in the United States. With a growing global staff of over 1,000—nine of 10 who work in the field—the Foundation’s global mission is to eliminate pediatric HIV and AIDS by implementing HIV prevention, care, and treatment programs; further advance innovative research; and to execute strategic and targeted global advocacy activities to bring dramatic change to the lives of millions of women, children, and families worldwide.
The SAFE Project (SRAS-CoV-2 infection in Community, Acceptability, Feasibility, and Perceptions of SRAS-CoV-2 Ag-RD Testing following Mass Gathering Events: a multisite cross-sectional study in Cameroon), funded by FIND , is a cross-sectional survey which aims to determine the positivity rate of SARS-CoV-2 antigen-detecting rapid diagnostic tests (Ag-RDT) in the community among individuals that currently attend MGE or gatherings with more than 50 people in two urban areas in Cameroon and to access the feasibility and acceptability of SARS-CoV-2 Ag-RDT in community settings. The data generated from our research activities will directly inform the MOH on safe return to MGE and if a possible new COVID-19 ‘wave’ with increased asymptomatic community transmission during or following the MGE. Results would guide the MOH to ascertain the acceptability, feasibility, and effect of community-based testing on SARS-CoV-2 transmission and COVID-19 outcomes.
The Associate Research Officer (ARO) will be responsible for the preparation, implementation and coordination of the SAFE specific research projects at regional level Littoral and Center regions. He/she will oversee each project’s research sites in the assigned region and will supervise and support the Research Assistants for the implementation of the study. Monitoring activities would be implemented in the participating districts in the Littoral (Bonassama, Deido, Bangue, Nylon) and in the center region (Efoulan, Biyemassi, Cité Verte and Djoungolo). He/she will report to each study Coordinator for project related activities. For data and regulatory aspects of the research, he/she will report to the Data Manager and the in-country Principal Investigator. He/she will work under the direct supervision of the Study Coordinators.
During the study preparation Phase:
– Perform site preparation by identifying, work with procurement team to acquire and supply all materials needed to operationalize the research site.
– Work closely to ensure local stakeholders (District Medical Officers, Community health workers and leaders) buy-in the study and provide needed support for implementation.
– Assist the study coordinator in organizing onsite training for protocol and research procedures.
– Ensure that all participating sites have data collection tools and study materials permanently in place.
– Prepare with the study coordinators the site opening visits.
During the study enrollment phase:
– Ensure that the enrollment takes place as planned in all study sites of the assigned region and provide appropriate support to the Research Assistant/Study Nurses.
– Ensure the respect and the strict application of each study Standards Operating Procedures (SOPs) at site level.
– Oversee the study enrollment at site level and ensure the respect of the informed consent procedure.
– Conduct regular monitoring visits according to the monitoring plan.
– Assist data manager for data quality check and ensure response to data queries.
– Monitor the progress of the study according to the protocol, SOPs and the Good Clinical Practice (GCP) at site level and report to study coordinator.
– Ensure the maintenance of the study Investigational Site File (ISF)
– Ensure that the sensitive information (signed consent forms) are securely stored according to the protocol.
– Ensure the completeness and the regular update of the site investigator file.
– Immediately report any serious adverse events to the study coordinator, and the PI.
– Supervise and mentor the sites staff on all study-related issues.
– Medical Doctor with an MD degree or Senior registered graduated nurse
– MPH degree in epidemiology, public health, or Certificate in a research course will be appreciated.
– Knowledge and comprehension of human subjects’ research, ethics and of GCP.
– Experience in clinical or operational research as research assistant, data collector, site supervisor or regional supervisor will be highly appreciated.
– Experience in monitoring of clinical and operational research data.
– Excellent teamwork and coordination skills.
– Excellent oral and written communication skills.
– Perfect professional proficiency in English and French.
– Availability to travel on the field on a regular basis.
The selection will be made based on the following criteria:
Criteria Description Weight
Technical qualification The technical qualification will be assessed during an interview with a selection committee: Note that Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for theoretical and practical skills assessment, the interview. 65%
Price Indicate at the top of your Cover Letter your monthly Consultancy fees for the tasks. 25%
Past Performance Provide at least 3 professional references and field experience will be assessed. 10%
How to Apply
• Kindly submit a CV and Cover letter to CameroonProcurement@pedaids.org
• Deadline for submission May 7th, 2022 with subject title ‘Associate Research Officer’ and indicate your prefer region
Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit pedaids.org.